Project Profile: Amtrak's Bergen Portal Tunnel, New Jersey
Project: Homeland Security, Transportation & Consulting Services
Scope of Work:
Professional Systems Engineering, LLC (PSE) provided security consulting services to address the access point to Amtrak’s Bergen Portal Tunnel - the railways secure entrance from New Jersey to Manhattan and New England.
The National Railroad Passenger Corporation (Amtrak) has initiated a project to provide an enhanced level of security at Amtrak facilities across the country. PSE provided Amtrak guidelines and criteria that would result in the design and construction of a fully functional, efficient, stable, easily maintainable state-of-the-art security system that increased the efficiency and effectiveness of Amtrak’s security program.
The security consulting services performed by PSE for Phase I of the project was to conduct interviews of selected Amtrak personnel, evaluate the Bergen Portal, prepare a report of findings and recommendations, and prepare a Basis of Design and Construction (BDC) for future Phase II Work.
- Preparing draft report presentation and draft BDC presentation
- Conducting a series of interviews with Amtrak NY/NJ personnel
- Conducting a detailed walk down of the sites
- Establishing locations for CCTV cameras and recommend camera type
- Evaluating exterior lighting and establish locations for additional lighting fixtures and poles
- Proposing security equipment (fences/barriers, cameras, light poles, intrusion detection devices)
- Developing a cabling/wiring scheme for the proposed system
- Developing a video switching and recording system to support the proposed CCTV cameras
- Establishing equipment types (make and model) for all proposed security equipment
- Preparing a detailed cost estimate for equipment and installation