Project Profile: Citgo Petroleum Lake Charles Manufacturing, Louisiana
Project: Security Threat & Vulnerability Assessment
Scope of Work: Professional Systems Engineering provided a baseline threat and vulnerability assessment of refinery security and made recommendations from which CITGO management optimized efficiency, minimized cost, and maximized the protection of critical assets. The data and information gathered by the on-site PSE project team was contained in a Security Survey Report, which contained recommendations addressing areas for change and/or improvement, alternatives, benefit analysis, as well as identification of areas that are satisfactory. PSE utilized the CARVER Model to assess and determine the threats and vulnerability of the refinery operation including offshore and land traffic impact.
PSE surveyed, inspected, and assessed all existing refinery security devices, equipment, alarms, and monitoring systems currently installed. This included: fences, intrusion detection devices, surveillance equipment, and access control devices. Policy and procedures for the use of security equipment were addressed in a full threat and vulnerability assessment. PSE was responsible for CITGO obtaining a $14 million grant from the Department of Homeland Security.
PSE’s services included a comprehensive management oriented physical security survey and risk/threat assessment which:
- Analyzed the security requirements to achieve adequate and cost-effective protection for the Lake Charles Manufacturing, equipment, and personnel
- Assessed the adequacy of existing site security systems with regard to the requirements
- Determined the existing risk that CITGO had with its current security program as it relates to the unauthorized access, sabotage, public safety, and overall vulnerability of the refinery
- Provided recommendations regarding how to better protect CITGO assets
- Provided a cost estimate for the recommended courses of action