Project Profile: Clay Center for the Arts & Sciences, Virginia
Project: Museum & Performing Arts Security
Scope of Work: The Clay Center for the Arts and Sciences is one of the most ambitious cultural and educational projects in the history of West Virginia. It is a culmination of two decades of planning and construction in the state’s capital city. The Clay Center includes a premier art museum, a first-class performing arts center featuring a performance hall, a state-of-the-art science center with two floors of exhibit space, a planetarium, a 70-mm large-format film theater, as well as virtual and hands-on educational programs.
While security is the central focus, its visual prominence blends with the aesthetic to avoid out-of-place disharmony. The result is a safe, welcoming place for young and old alike to enjoy its many offerings.
Professional Systems Engineering, LLC designed the security system on a fast track schedule. The following engineering services and tasks were included in this project.
- Secure site analysis
- Physical and electronic security recommendations
- Security report with basis of design guidelines
- Inconspicuous security to assure aesthetic blend
- Coordination with interiors/architectural needs
- Secure planning for varied exhibits and performances
- Assisted owner during bidding process and aided in evaluation of bids
- Reviewed all schedule of values, subcontractors, shop drawings, product data, samples, applications for payment, and change orders
- Preformed job-site inspections during progress meetings
- Determined the dates of substantial and final completion
- Prepared punch lists
- Conducted closeout project site walk-through
- CCTV surveillance
- Digital recording systems
- Card Access control
- Museum grade CCTV design
- Complete door security/control
- Full motion/heat acoustical detection systems