Project Profile: Alameda County Juvenile Justice Center, California
Project: Commissioning & Authority Services
Scope of Work: Professional Systems Engineering, LLC provided commissioning and authority services for this new $130 million juvenile justice center. This facility is comprised of a 360-bed detention center, with 180 Medium Security beds, 90 Maximum Security beds, and 90 Special Population beds, as well as court facilities and administration offices.
In order to verify the functionality of the building security systems final testing plan was implemented. The methodology of the plan was based upon standard operational activities that would be expected within the building to assure security systems would respond as designed. The commissioning methodology was focused upon functionality of the security system.
The new 379,000 SF juvenile justice center was designed to achieve LEED gold certification. The commissioning on this project represented the necessity to conform the owners original program, the design/builders solution, and the vendors integration. PSE personnel were in full time attendance during peak test and conformance periods.
Functionality testing plans included:
- Walk-thru of the facility from exterior entrance through the booking process to placement of a resident in a bedroom
- Verification of CCTV and intercom systems
- Special condition simulations for resident transfer process and system interlocks
- Systems testing performed on wireless and hardwired duress, Watch Tour, video retrieval, Uniteruptable power supply (UPS) and alarm reporting systems
- Review of system testing documentation and follow-up on failed test items
Final court testing plans included:
- Simulation of operational requirements from arrival at sallyport for hearing to holding area, and escort to courtrooms
- Simulation of a hearing room duress condition
- Review of critical operational punchlists for commissioning
- Testing for security systems validation